Process of elimination - so? x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: mg <spridgets@autox.team.net>, jim coppage <apexshot@charter.net>
Subject: Process of elimination - so? x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:15:09 -0700
I drove the MG (71 Midget) to Modesto, 112 miles. 4200 rpm, 55-60 lbs
oil pressure. The Austin America temps gauge I'd wired in showed
hot/normal. Lunch break a block up the street, no prob. Sonic Burger.
More power than the as-new Rivergate clutch and rear seal kit could
tolerate. Engagement comes low in the travel, too. Huh?

Class over, I go to drive up the street and blat blat it's running on
maybe one. Idles good, revs with pretty good enthusiasm, back off
the gas and it relaxes, but runs on one or two.

Compression test 125-135. #2 plug notably darker, others fine.
New condenser, new pigtail, plug wires, points, fuel filter,
removed pressure regulator/filter, checked the 45DCOE's inlet fuel
filter and all jets and removables. Installed new NGK plugs.

Squirted carb cleaner everywhere to find vacuum leaks. Into carb
stalled it. Manifold was tight. Spare coil nada, reversal of coil wires
nada, direct power to coil nada. Various dizzy timing. Ground is solid.

Everything gave us an easy starter, vigorous revver, breaking
up, and putta putt putt on the move. The car sits in Modesto
and I try to go drag it home tomorrow. Tempted to try Standard
SUs. It has an S head, all jazzed, Kent 266, Maniflow LCB,
Datsun 5 speed.

Well? Any ideas? Gotta be the carb, eh? The 45DCOE is set up
ala Vizard and has a bad flat spot I plan to remedy with a milder
tune as advised by Bob and Frank.

David McCartney