Compression Question & Calculating Camber Volume

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compression Question & Calculating Camber Volume
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:49:31 -0500
A few quick question for those who have either gone down the hot motor path
or are considering going down the hot motor path.

I'm getting ready to skim a big valve head (1.48" intake and 1.12" exhaust
with very significant porting work) to fit on a basically stock short block
with a VP7 cam.  What is the max realistic compression (without artificially
retarding timing) that can be used on a street car, assuming that I would
run 93 octane pump gas?  How about if I were willing to use 93 octane pump
gas and 104+ and/or TK-7 with every tank, then what would be the max
compression that is realistic to run on said street motor?

Other issues...  What is the standard 1275 piston diameter in both inches
and mm?  What is the best way of determining the volume of a dish in an
installed piston?  Assuming that I have the measurement of the bore
(70.5mm), the distance from the top of the block to the piston (1.6mm), and
can figure out the volume of the dish in the piston (small dish), then what
would be the methodology to determine the combustion chamber volume needed
to reach a particular compression ratio?

Suggestions?  Anyone have thoughts on getting thermal barrier coatings on
the head and valves?

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org <mailto:jzimmerm@albemarle.org>
'64 Sprite (1275 & 5 speed, etc)