FW: [Fwd: Dick Buckingham - update 04/18/04]

To: "Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [Fwd: Dick Buckingham - update 04/18/04]
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:35:40 -0600
More on racer Dick Buckingham

-----Original Message-----
From owner-vintage-race at autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Larry Dent
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 8:28 AM
To: Vintage Racing
Subject: [Fwd: Dick Buckingham - update 04/18/04]

Thought all you would be thrilled at Dick's progress.  This is the
latest.  Larry Dent

Hello All - Judy has sent me several emails that say far more than I ever
could.  So, I am going to include them in this email...I am delighted to see
Dick progress...Judy reported the following:

"First, Dick continues to improve.  He ate well today on his "dysphasia
mechanical diet" - whatever that means.  Basically it is real food that is
cut
in small pieces.  He had a botox injection in his left arm today to see if
that would loosen the tension in his biceps.  Jury is out on that so far.
He
was whispering a little more today and was able to tell the rehabilitation
drs. who were testing him what his name was and that he was in the hospital.
He also told my sister as she was saying good-bye as they are leaving
tomorrow
that he appreciated them coming. Now if he would just tell me that!"

"We have decided that for the next phase of his recuperation he will go to
the
Mercer Island Care & Rehabilitation, 7445 SE 24th, Mercer Island 98040,
phone
206-232-6600.  We had 2 choices of places that I would accept for him and
where there were beds available for a patient with his type of injury.  They
were very comparable so the convenience of the Mercer Island location tipped
the scales.  He will probably be transferred there on Thursday.  After a few
days of settling in I'm sure that visitors would be a good thing. If you all
could spread the word to those people you are in contact with I would
appreciate it.  I don't want visitors or cards ending up at the hospital
after
he has left."

"Thank you all for your support.  I hope Dick will be able to tell you all
that he appreciates it soon."

"Hi- I just had to let you know that Dick actually had a telephone
conversation!  Barb called me on the cell phone to let me know that they had
arrived home safely.  I put the phone up to Dick's ear and he whispered "Hi,
Barb".  When Bill got on the phone, he made a remark to him about needing
his
help.  We were all thrilled.  If that wasn't good enough- he stayed alert
throughout dinner and told me such things as "the food here is filling',
"the
food sucks", "I need a drink", "I itch", "I'm miserable", " I want to go
back
to bed", "when are the guys (the lift team) coming", and "turn out the
lights". I was so thrilled that he was whispering so much to me and at the
same time felt so bad for him, knowing how frustrated he must be.  I hope he
is still so alert tomorrow.   Judy"