Re: Riley Sprite

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Riley Sprite
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 06:47:01 -0600
> fun road car. Looked similar to the early MG Midgets but smaller. Wish I
had
> kept it now!  These Austin 750 cars held a whole host of speed records for
> few years, until technological improvements - largely with the MGs -
> overtook them.  The ohc supercharger one was a last throw attempt to
> maintain their league position

> > Hmmm... You are probably thinking of the first MG Midget, introduced in
> > 1928... The Austin 7 was introduced in 1922 with a 750 engine, but that
> was
> > a road car, albeit successfully used in racing. There was an awesome
racer
> > developped from the Austin Seven in the mid thirties- twin cam with
> > supercharger... Power was rumored to be over 110 hp!

Come on, Folks, the first MG Midget wasa the M-Type, introduced in April
1929 with a displacement  of 847cc. A terrible size, since it put it at the
wrong end of the 751 to 1100 cc competition class. One of its
accomplishments was the "magic ton" in the 750cc class (sleeved and
de-stroked for the purpose) and a mighty effort it was against the Austins
of the day who were also attempting to capture the record of the first "baby
car" over 100mph. Top speed records come and go, but the honor of being the
first to accomplish a milestone stays forever. The M-Type was primarily a
"road car" as well, but it did quuite well in competition. See John
Thorley's "Maintaining the Breed" for even more details.
David Lieb