Re: Steering wheel repair?

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel repair?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:33:09 +0000
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi.
I repaired the steering wheel on my Daimler and Impala. It's pretty easy to do.
I usually glass bead the whole thing first to clean it and etch the surface a
bit.
Then Vee out the big cracks, use PC7/PC8 or other slow drying substance. Shape
it with denatured alcohol and an exacto knife. Make the repair slightly lower
than the surrounding area since the epoxy is harder than the wheel. You will
finish level with primer and polyester putty.
When dry, wet sand with 320, then prime, fill any minor imperfections with
polyester putty. More sanding, priming until you are satisfied. Final sand with
600, paint with black urethane for best durability. Any good primer surfacer
will do.
I used laquer on the Daimler wheel which can be polished to a nice shine, but
both paints look equally nice.

Good luck.