Re: Gear reduction starters message of Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:04:11 -0500

To: mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com (Mike/Donna Carpenter)
Subject: Re: Gear reduction starters message of Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:04:11 -0500
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:25:25 -0500 (EST)
Cc: rscott213@comcast.net (Scott Family), spridgets@autox.team.net
I got my GR starter from Morriservice
(PAsgeirsson@att.net) and swear by it...
all have a "self-contained" solenoid as far
as I know.

One caveat here:
If the "quality" of the electrical supply to
these becomes degraded for any reason
(e.g. - battery performance sub-standard
and barely adequate under load) the solenoid can burn out very rapidly
in a
very short period of time, at which time it can "fail"
completely/suddenly (ask me how I know?!:)

One symptom of this is the starter turning
the engine over at about the same rate
as a "normal" stock starter, rather than
turning the motor over about twice as
rapidly (which is as it SHOULD be, relatively speaking).

Any time I have the car in for a lube job,
oil change or whatever, I now always run
a load test on the battery or starter system "just to be sure"....takes
about
60 seconds max! :):)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)