Re: stuck in first gear, another look

To: "gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: stuck in first gear, another look
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:55:22 -0700
Cc: "Jim Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>, "William Burrell" <wburrell@cox.net>, "AUTOX SPRIDGET LIST" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
That's true, the washer will do a temporary fix on this problem, but with
worn shifter forks it not really reliable.  BTW, I have these washers made
for me by my machinest for the one two punch I use on these rebuilds.  The
real culprit is the effective shortening of the interlock pin on the
first/second gear slider due to wear on the pin and the 2 pieces it
interlocks on along with shaft wear.  This allows the center slider to move
too far one way and then the outer ring to move too far in the opposite
direction with the result of the detent balls starting to come out.  So I
make new longer interlock pins out of hardened Harley Davidson roller
bearings!!!

Been rebuilding these since '74---Far too long!!

Later, Paul A