Misc. Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc. Questions
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:08:55 -0400
Listers,
The restoration of my '68 Midget is coming along.  I have a few questions and
I'd like to draw on the collective knowledge of the group.

Read the recent thread on 14" wheels.  I'd like to fit 14" wires or center-lock
minilites.  Is 175/60R 14 a tire size that would give me no clearance problems
(and still keep that classic look)?

Was browsing this week at the newstand and picked up a UK magazine called
"Retro Cars."  The magazine highlighted a couple of Spidgets with K-series
motors and the like.  But one car had rear discs with a functioning parking
brake.  No source for a retrofit kit was mentioned. Is this something that
anyone on the list has done for their street car? (I've seen the setup sold at
"The Winners Circle" but its a race setup for lugged wheels - no parking brake).

I'm reading up on engine tuning for the 1275.  I've seen an intake manifold
(Maniflow) that allows one swap out the 1.25" twin SUs for 1.5" or 1.75" SUs.
Is that a better performing option than going with a Weber?

Lastly, I've got chrome quarterlights (wing windows) that are pitted - but not
too badly.  Has anyone on the list had them rechromed?  I took one side apart
and it looks simple enough for a shop to do.  Anything to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,
Michael Lott
Compton, CA