Rings?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rings?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:13:54 -0700 FILETIME=[F61D8760:01C432BB]
Mail ordered new rings for my 5 ring 1098 pistons. I got these pistons
without rings.  Everything seemed straight forward except for the 4 crinkly
"expander" bands that came with the set I had never seen before. Just
guessing they seemed to possibly fit behind one of scrapper rings somehow.
Yet in those slots they just slide into the openings cut in the piston
itself. The instructions that came with them were all but use less. Could
not find any reference to them in any of the books. Could someone on the
list tell me where they go? What there for? Are they optional? Thanks.