MOT pass at last!

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: MOT pass at last!
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:53:41 +0100
Well, we're finally there.  The steering column had collapsed, and was
welded together.  I am now back on the streets, and it's an incredible
experience compared to the little time I had a few months ago when the
car was working.  The work that I've done has made a massive difference
to the drive.  Of course, now I'm tempted to take things to the next
level.  :)

After a clean and polish in and out, the thing looks like a different
car.  Not close to concours of course (and it's an RB anyway), but
really morale-boosting.  People look when I drive past.  I'm still not
happy about a few minor rust spots, as I know what will happen if I
leave them untreated.

I bought a stereo today, as the old one doesn't work.  I'm a big car
stereo nut, but for the first time ever I was able to walk into the shop
and ask for their cheapest stereo!  Well nearly.  I had to plump for an
Alpine, as their stuff is always good.  Boot space is limited, so I
didn't bother with a CD changer.  Just the cassette head unit.  Cassette
rather than CD because now I can use an adapter to plug in my MP3
player, and then not worry about CD's!  I also have some great 5.25"
components from my old BMW that I never god round to selling.  I'm going
to install the woofers behind the seats where the current (awful)
speakers are, and the tweeters most probably on the dash.

Other than that, various comments / points after doing about 70 miles
today, mostly around town!

o The thing handles like a go-kart, and feedback is pretty good.  I
don't think there is a whole lot of grip which could be to do with the
age of three of the tyres (although they are not worn), rather than the
suspension.
But (as I see now with the engine) I don't know how good it could be.
I wish the stock steering wheel was a little smaller.  Out of interest,
does anyone have experience with fitting telescopic shocks front and/or
rear, and how do they rate?  Not a cheap upgrade.
o Temperature is much improved.  Even in hot weather in London's worst
traffic, it never went above 3/4.  Mostly, it runs between 1/2 and 3/4.
If my Jag did that, I'd cry and worry about dropping valve seats, but
I don't get the impression that MG's are as fussy.  Do oil coolers
actually have an effect on running temperature?  My feeling is yes, but
I'd like to know for sure.
o Idle is at 650ish (when the throttle cable doesn't stick, that's
another thing to fix), and is slightly and occasionially rough but not
so much that I feel the need to alter it.  It's rougher when the engine
gets hot.
o I still need to change the oil in the engine, gearbox, and diff.
o I also need to grease all the relevant nipples (ooer).  My grease gun
isn't outputting grease at the moment, so this might have to wait.
o Need to fit the new speedo cable to cure annoying wavy speedo, and
intermittent odo/trip.
o Would like to move the number plate back down to it's rightful
position _below_ the bumper.  This would of course leave holes, and I
don't plan to have any bodywork done soon, but perhaps I could plug them
with rubber.  I don't understand why anyone would drill holes in the
body for such things.
o Get those Rostyles blasted and painted.
o Bleed the clutch.  Not sure why except I bet it hasn't been done for a
very long time.  The brake fluid that I bled was nearly black!
o Gearbox is notchy, and rattles in first, even when stationery, and (I
think) more so when going downhill.  But I really don't have the
motivation to fix it at the moment.  It's not a bad rattle, I don't have
a lift (only axle stands), and I don't fancy pulling out the engine.
o Investigate wobbly diff.  Is this paranoia or is something worn out?
Who knows.  I swear when the idle gets rough, it sounds slightly like
an old diesel, and that this is a suspect.

Hmm, I should put that list on my website as a reminder, then I can
track things as I do them.

Thanks for all your help.  I wouldn't be here without you, and I'm going
to be around for a while yet it seems.  :)

MG Midget 1979
http://www.antgel.co.uk/midget