Gear oil warning...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear oil warning...
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:41:25 -0700 (PDT)
I know none of you do this, but I now have some
experience on the evils of 90w GL5 gearbox lube...

I have a used close ratio gearbox at Eric Jones' shop,
Riverside Motors, and just got the diagnosis.  Box is
pretty much shot, and the synchro surfaces on which
there is a sprayed-on coating have completely
disintegrated.  Eric says this is something he sees
only when the box has been run on 90w GL5, probably
due to the sulfur.  Peter C. has a box down there
also, doncha know same thing!  FWIW (and to me it's
worth a lot), Eric guarantees his boxes for a year,
but only if you use non-detergent 30w or 40w in them.

And a shout-out to Rod Hahnemann at Spridgetech, who
sold me the box and is making 100% good on it.