Front Suspension Work

To: toyman@digitex.net
Subject: Front Suspension Work
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Brad,

Congrats, you won't believe the difference in how your car will handle after
you get it back together. One suggestion, you can tighten up the front end even
more by replacing the pinion gear. For a '68 like Bugsy and the '68 you've got,
 the pinion gear is < $10 from the usual suspects. Later cars it jumps to $75
but for a '68 it's a darn cheap replacement part. I replaced my rack with a
good spare and changed the pinion and the steering tightened up as well. Be
sure to clean out the bolt holes with a tap on the steering rack clamps. Crap
gets down the hole and you can't fully tighten up. Also I lined the inside of
the clamps with a piece of inner tube to keep rack from sliding around. Replace
the pinch bolt with the correct size and use a correct metal self locking nut,
not a Nylock!

Consider adding a sway bar if yours didn't come with one. The holes are all
there and predrilled.I got one off of a '76 that Kent in Cincy was parting out
for $25.00. I also added a lowering kit but would not do that again. Can't get
my jack under the car any more and need to be carefu;l with curbs.  But Bugsy
does indeed handle like on rails. Scary handling in fact. Be sure to replace
the rear shocks as well. Could definitely feel worn rear shocks as Bugsy
waddled on lane changes and sharp course corrections after replacing front
shocks. Peter C's stuff is top shelf!. Of course problem with rear spring mount
being loose and axle moving around did not help. Fixed that problem and I now
have a wonderfully handling Sprite.

Get that puppy back together and get out and enjoy the ride.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH