ballast resistor

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: ballast resistor
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:28:01 EDT
I've installed a crane 700 and PS 40 coil in my 75.  You should know it's
just coming together from two years of
restoration/construction/combination/improvement so there's no guarantee of
anything being right.  Anyway, when I turn
on the juice (haven't started it yet) the ballast resistor which came with the
coil or ign (I can't remember which) smokes.  Light wisps of smoke come off
it.  It doesn't feel hot, but does smell a little like electrical stuff that
would smoke.  I'm tempted to think it's normal b/c I've been touching it with
my
greasy hands or whatever and it's purifying itself, but what does anyone
think?  I could have something shorted of course.  I basically wired the
ignition
directly and eliminated the original resistor.  (ran switched, fused power to
the coil, used basic wiring diagram in xr700 instr.)

PS any idea how many amps the ingition circuit should be fused for?

Thanks!

Mark M.