Re: Questions on a '75 Midget

To: <engl@accesscomm.ca>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on a '75 Midget
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:04:34 -0700
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
Hi Bob. Welcome to the list. Yes, 1500's are on the list too. CHeck out
mine at the site in my sig.

As far as I know, all North American (including Canada) 1500 Midgets
came stock with electronic ignition, known as a Lucas OPUS unit. These
were known for dying,and in fact BL had a warranty replacement at the
time of a different electronic unit, the CEI unit. A Moss Motors catalog
will show the diference. In your case, your original OPUS unit probably
fried, and the PO (or his mechanic) replaced it with an earlier
distributor. Nothing wrong with that, as it is a direct physical swap,
though the advance curve is probably different. You could use the points
gap for a '74, as I think it'd be fine. For spark plugs you'd be better
off starting with the stock 1500 plugs.

I'm not sure on the orifice thingy - I removed most of the emissions
stuff on my car in the quest for more power. But on the back of the
filter housing, you're talking about the 1 1/2" tube? If so, this was a
heat riser valve. There was a round housing with a flapper valve on a
bi-metallic spring. One end wasa connected to the air cleaner by a short
length of rubber hose. The other end wasconnected to a heat-shield type
of bit over the exhaust manifold by a length of flexible aluminum tube.
This brought warmer air into the carb when the engine was cold to warm
up the engine quicker on cold days.

I'm fighting the left-lean too. I've replaced my rear springs, and am
about to replace the fronts. I believe the front springs may have more
to do with the lean that the rear ones. At least in my case, the car
feels stiffer when turning left than when turning right. But as others
have pointed out, the unibody can take a set over time.

Good luck!

-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/