Re: Questions on a '75 Midget

To: "Bob" <engl@accesscomm.ca>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on a '75 Midget
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:38:44 -0700 from [4.11.7.107] at Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:38:41 -0500
Bob - I have a 78 RB midget - not considered a "classic" by many, but I
happen to like the way it looks. The shape and appearance grow on you after
a while.  It definitely doesn't perform as well as older MGs, mainly due to
the chassis having to be raised for the "safety requirements" of the day.
But it is a super fun car to drive anyway - It will never match my Miata for
handling (or power) but it is as much fun to drive, in its own way.  The
engine also has a reputation for being weak - I've never had any problems
with mine, but then again, I don't push it real hard.

For your idle problem - check for vacuum leaks. The engine will absolutely
not run correct if there are any vac leaks at all.

I replaced my original electronic ignition with an after market Mallory
distributor with built-in electronic ignition - a bit pricey. but it works
great.

Good luck with your machine - after you have worked on it a while, you'll
get used to it's sometimes strange construction and operation (and Lucas
electrics).

Dave