RE: Bugeye rear wheel studs

To: "'Jackson Zimmermann'" <JZIMMERM@albemarle.org>, <nase@ptd.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bugeye rear wheel studs
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:31:53 -0500
I race my current car on stock 3/8ths studs, and I guarantee they're seeing
plenty of stress & load. Never has been a problem. (I used to be able to go
thru 5 axles on a race weekend before getting double bearing hubs though...)

Of course, it's rare that I'm doing a rabbit start clutch dump like many of
you 1275 street guys might do while trying to show off and hold off some
rice burner at a stop light. The failure you have might be as a result of
that. My experience is that the loads under (seriously) heavy cornering have
no effect on the stock studs.

I've had other cars with 7/6ths studs, which increases your chances of
finding lug nuts for race mags at any local parts place. The 3/8ths fine
shouldered lug nuts for American Racing mags, etc seem to be made of
unobtanium nowadays.

WST