Re: fuel smell

To: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridgets)
Subject: Re: fuel smell
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:17:16 -0600
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:02:19 -0400, Robert E. Shlafer wrote
> Yes...
>
> "Fuel smell" is a pretty wide open sorta
> thing!!
>
> Chris K. offers some good places to look
> but since it's a UK car, I have no clue what emissions controls it would
> have,
> if any, besides a simple crankcase PCV system.

AFAIK (from consulting the BL 1500 manual) the only difference between the
fuel systems on the UK and US 1500s was that the UK 1500s got real carbs
(dual SUs) instead of the single Stromberg.  (BTW: Contact breaker's yards in
the UK for inexpensive conversions to dual SU's.)

> However, a leaky fuel evaporaive loss
> system (or saturated charcoal within the
> engine compartment "cannister") is often
> the culprit in cars so equipped.

Yup!  If the charcoal is ruined, the inexpensive fix involves a trip to a pet
supply place that carries aquarium stuff.  A bag of activated charcoal and a
chunk of coarse filter media is all that's required to renew the canister.

Chris K.