Sticky throttle

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sticky throttle
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:28:19 +0100
Hi all,

My throttle cable snapped last night on my way home.  Bad news of
course, but at least it forced me to change the throttle cable, which
had been sticking for a while, causing:
1) Idle to go up to 1500 until I flick the throttle.
2) "Kangaroo" progress through slow-moving traffic, despite my most
gentle efforts.

After installing the new cable (which was quite a bit longer than the
old one), everything was fine for five minutes as revealed by a test
drive around the block.

However on a longer drive, it became apparent that not only had the
above problems not been cured, but they are now worse!  The throttle is
incredibly sticky, sometimes at about 3000 revs!  Hence the car is
almost undriveable.  Well I can deal with it but it's a pain flicking
the pedal every two seconds in traffic.  And when moving off, there is
quite noticable resistance underfoot, even worse than before.

This is generally a problem only when the car is warmed up.  I have
several plans of attack:
1) Lubricate throttle linkage (done before, no effect).
2) Lubricate pedal mount (doubtful to have an effect).
3) Some kinda carb problem causing the linkage to not return properly.
(Help me out here people!)
4) The cable felt hot just now after opening the bonnet.  I wonder if
the engine ground(s?) have had it and the engine is grounding itself
through the cable.  Then again everything under the bonnet is hot so
perhaps this is a red herring.  Any voltmeter tests I can do to see if
this is the case?

MG Midget 1979
http://www.antgel.co.uk/midget