Resto tips/links/books for the

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Resto tips/links/books for the
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:54:27 -0700
Seal-send-time: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:54:27 -0700 FILETIME=[91861FD0:01C4757B]
Ok guys, can you provide some links/pointers/books on doing a proper resto?

Now that my son has moved in with me, it's given us some motivation to begin
tearing down the 71 midget that's been parked in the garage for a couple of
years now.

I know the trunk compartment needs to be cut out and replaced (it was buckled
in an accident some time in its life) and that the battery box needs
replacement, too. Other than that, I'm HOPING the body work won't be too
severe. I was toying with the idea of buying a MIG welder and attempting the
work myself (although I have never welded before - is this a stupid choice on
my part?).

Mechanically, the gearbox will need help (I'll let someone else change out
those hundreds of cogs) and I'm planning a standard engine overhaul (rings,
bearings, etc.).

I'm not trying to go over the top with this. I'd just like to bring the car
back to pretty decent facsimile of original condition (ie. not building a race
car, custom rod, etc).

I've done work on MG's and Triumphs in the past, but never a ground up resto,
so any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Bill
Covington, Wa.