Re: still sputterin

To: William Thompson <Willy@thompsoncarpentry.com>
Subject: Re: still sputterin
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:55:01 -0400 5.0; U)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
When my MGB sputtered incessantly, off and on, I was convinced it was ignition,
because the sage advice is that ignition is the source of most SU problems.  By
the time I got to the clogged fuel lines that were causing the problem, I had a
spot-on ignition set up in place.  Maybe you are just the other way around.

But if it is a fuel problem, I would look closely at the possibility of floats
hanging up, the needle and seat leaking or sticking, or the float itself
sticking somehow.

A friend of mine, when setting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, ran a
pressure gauge on the car to the cockpit where he could watch it under operating
conditions.  That would let you confirm that fuel is getting to the front of the
car all the time.

Then maybe, you could substitute known good carbs from a willing friend.

Anyway, that's what I would do.  It sure would be helpful to determine if it
runs rich or lean when it sputters.  Seems to me a rich condition would tend to
be ignition (no fire) and lean would have to be fuel delivery.  Your symptoms
sound lean, though, because you say the idle increases.

How about manifold vacuum leaks?  Could be intermittent.

Jim