Re: rust repair - opinions wanted.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rust repair - opinions wanted.
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 01:20:16 EDT
In a message dated 8/5/04 12:11:59 AM, livinginthepast3@hotmail.com writes:

> New trunk tray (buckled from a rear ender)
> New rear valance (bondo bomber, result of same rear ender mentioned above)
> New battery tray (rotted out - most sheet metal already cut out)

Seems to be the consensus that owning a welder beats having a professionally
welded repair of the magnitude you are talking about.   However

Although I agree with David in terms of pride of accomplishment, some thought
needs to be given to quality of the welding job.   Only you can make the
judgement as to whether you are capable of learning to weld to the extent that
you
can do the welds fast enough, pretty enough, and strong enough to suit you.
I keep trying to remind the Spridgeteers that one live Spridgeteer is worth
several who were too cheap to do it right.   Safety is extremely important,
although I grant that the welds you are suggesting don't seem to be of a type
that will cause catastrophic problems.

Doing the battery box in sheet metal is acceptable unless you are in this for
concours perfection.   The plastic battery boxes that fit on the metal ones
do a lot of metal saving.   Treating "battery blossoms" with baking soda is
good, too.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"

Check out the new British Cars Forum: