Autocross Midget

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Autocross Midget
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:46:37 -0500
In case anyone is interested, I just thought that I would share a bit about
my Midget. I had a lot of fun autocrossing it last year with the Miata club,
so many of the changes I made over the winter were aimed at enhancing that
aspect of its performance. The changes included having an engine rebuilt by
Rivergate with the AL head and a  Kent 266 cam, finally installing the
Datsun 210 tranny, Phantom Grip, converting from wires to disk wheels,
roller bearings in the front, Sigma Sport BC1200 bicycle speedometer, and
APT stub stacks on the HS2s. Bill Perry picked me up a free set of used
Yokohama A008R 185/60 tires from the back of the tire truck on race day, and
I mounted them on a set of 5.5" (I think) steel rims that I picked up for
$50. I am also running the 3/4" bar I got from Willy last year. The final
touch was that the Miata club took pity on me and split the Non-Miata class
at 2.5 liters so I would not have to try to beat the Corvettes and Porsches.

The results have been very satisfying. I really shocked a bunch of Miatas.
The best I got last year was fourth place a couple of times; this year I
have gotten several firsts, including beating all of the other non-Miatas
once ;-))) I am still sorting out the carbs and distributor, but she's
running pretty good anyway. Now if Classic Motorsports would ever get around
to remembering what that Project Midget of theirs was supposed to be about
and give me some more ideas...
David Lieb
1972 RWA Midget

Check out the new British Cars Forum: