Burning oil when using compression breaks

To: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net> FILETIME=[78AAC020:01C4A6EE] i8UD8k5e008580
Subject: Burning oil when using compression breaks
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:07:41 -0600
Hello,

Yesterday we went with the local British Car Club for dinner. The drive
took us over a 7miles up and down hill.
The guy behind me told me that while doing OK uphill, I was blowing out
blue smoke (read oil) on the way down when using the friction break (I
think that this is how you call it in the US, you know when you just
remove your foot from the accelerator, stay in gear and let the engine
rev slow down the car). I was doing around 60 at 3500rpm in 4th gear on
the 1500cc Midget low compression.

Any idea why this is happening and if there is anything that I can do
(short of rebuilding the engine of course).
The compression number on the car look normal at around 150 each
cylinder, but I have never done a leak down test.

Thanks, cyrille

Check out the new British Cars Forum: