tappet oil drain holes

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tappet oil drain holes
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:11:02 -0700
I'm pulling my new motor out to correct a problem that cropped up after only a
few hundred miles.  I've been haunted by excessive oil smoke and have finally
traced the problem to pooling of oil over the head.  On the recent rebuild I
went with a new set of chilled iron tappets that were not drilled with the
usual oil relief hole.

Vizard says these are fine and that plenty of oil will get past the tappents
to drain the head just fine.
I've not found this to be true.  The snug fit of nice new tappets isn't
draining the head area fast enough to prevent pooling on the head.  Oil smoke
on start up, guides are new and double checked to close tolerance.  New rings
and pistons with just enough miles to seat them nicely and blowby is now very
low.  A peek into the filler cap after a long high speed run and quick
shutdown shows enough accumulation to stand above the stem seals.  I know the
1.5 roller rockers weep more oil than the original set, but I debuted this set
on the old motor with drilled tappets and had no problem.

Has anyone else had problems with these undrilled lifters?  My plan is to pull
them out and drill the little suckers.

Glen "Blue Cloud" Byrns

Check out the new British Cars Forum: