Re: fuel gauge/sender

To: Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: fuel gauge/sender
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:48:51 -0400
Cc: "bugeye@yahoogroups" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phil

I have used both early and late fuel gages with either senders.
The back of the gauge is marked B (battery or soliod green wire)
T for tank or green/black wire.
The green/black wire goes from the gauge to the sender.
Also try a fresh ground wire to the tank. Besides rust, they are mounted
on a rubber gasket with doesn't help the grounding. I always run a
seperate wire from a clean tank bolt to the sender screw on the tank.
If you suscpect the sender is bad, drop the tank, the sender is in with
6 screws, on early senders, you can remove the top, look carefully
inside at the thin wire from the windings to the terminal, it frys.
With some thin wire (or a single strand from stranded wire) I have
managed to patch it up. Solder it to the terminal first, then just twist
it to the thin wire from the winding. The solder iron will melt the thin
wire (ask me how I know)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ