Tranny Question Bugeye

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, spritenut@exit109.com, lewing@sport.rr.com
Subject: Tranny Question Bugeye
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:45:25 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, PilotRob@webtv.net
Possibly you can help me or send me in a direction.

I just brought home a wonderful Bugeye 1959 with 64k documented original
miles and a 1275 engine upgrade. The upgrade engine only has about 100 miles on
it. The car was from and estate sale and had been sitting for about 10 years.
(I
paid 5000 for the car and it is rust free with original dash covering and
seats in great condition).

When we fired it up to get it on the trailer we noticed a clicking that
occurs in first gear. It seems to be only in first. This is a non-synchro gear
box
(first gear). I eventually plan to replace the tranny with a Rivergate Datsun
210 5 speed upgrade - but would like to drive the car some with the original
tranny (once I change all the fluids, etc).

What might be your take on the clicking that is occuring in first - could it
simply be an adjustment type thing. . or do you think that it is deeper and as
such I should just pull the tranny and go forward with the Rivergate Datsun
tranny right away?

Anything you can do to point me or give me some idea would be most
appreciated!

Thanks!

Kirk