Forwarded: Head Gasket Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Forwarded: Head Gasket Question
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:32:15 -0700
For some reason this was sent to me rather than spridgets@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@albemarle.org>
     Subject: Head Gasket Question
     Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:55:53 -0500

A question for the list.  In fitting a new shaved head with APT composite
headgasket to the sprite, I needed to shim my valvetrain.  In doing so, I
first torqued everything down to figure out that I needed to shim, removed
all the nuts to install some shims, torqued again, then figured out that I
needed more shims, removed the nuts, installed more shims and retorqued,
figured out that I overshimmed, removed the nuts again, and am now ready to
finally install the head (whew!).

Now that I have done all this with the current new headgasket, what is the
wisdom of the list?  Should I pull the head (everything is loose now) and
install a brand new, never-seen-compression-between-the-head-and-block
gasket?  Or is the existing gasket that has been compressed a few times
going to cut the mustard?

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite (1275 & 5-speed, etc.)