Re: Removing the fulcrum and kingpin

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Removing the fulcrum and kingpin
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:56:54 EST
Bill,

I have a way to get these pins out IF you can get your hands on liquid
nitrogen.   But first I need to get some terminology worked out--my old brain
can
only deal with so much at a time.   I am assuming that you are talking about
the
pin that goes through the A-frame (fulcrum pin) and the swivel axle (king
pin).   The fulcrum pin is made of naval bronze and at least the orginals were
chrome plated.   The axle is pinned to the fulcrum which is suppose to turn in
the A-frame as the suspension goes up and down.   You probably know at least
most of that but I want to cover the bases.   What usually happens is the
chrome
flakes off and jams the threads of the fulcrum pin.   Now for the removal,
this is how we did it.   First remove the cover with the zerk fitting from the
A-frame.   Now force acetone through the center of the fulcrum pin until you
are sure that all of the grease has been removed.   Then being very careful
pour
liguid nitrogen down the fulcrum pin center hole.   The bronze will contract
faster than the steel and will get "small" enough that you can unscrew the
fulcrum.   (You can't wait too long or it will start cooling the steel down.)
When you are done you will need to clean the remaining chrome flakes from
inside the A-arm.

You can not get the fulcrum cold enough by putting it in an ice chest with
ice, guess how I know.   Another possiblity is to use dry ice and acetone but
you need to be very careful, since you have a fire hazard as well as a
solution
that will dissolve quite a variety of containers.

Good Luck

Bob

of

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"