Re: Lucas commentary

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lucas commentary
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:37:45 -0500
Hello David,

I deleted your original post and then thought about the subject for awhile
before I wrote my message.  My post wasn't directed at you, just Lucas
bashers in general.   And you didn't say the word "primitive" - I did, as do
most Lucas bashers.  Don't take it personally.  :-)

Your '72 Midget could have been built with headlight relays, as most USA
built cars of the '70s were.  But again, the cars were built to a price
point and Lucas sold British Leyland what they asked for.  And the Lucas
built parts worked fine for the expected life of the car.

Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. all sell relays that will work just
fine for switching your headlight voltage.  Radio shack sells 12 VDC ice
cube relays that will work.  They require a separate socket however and you
wouldn't want to mount them under the hood.

Don't know what to tell you on the heater control valve.  The cars were
built with a "raise the hood and turn the valve" control system from the
start in 1958 and I guess they felt changing to a cable controlled valve
wouldn't really increase sales much.  By the 70's British Leyland had
control and changes were mostly the result of new safety standards, emission
controls, etc.  Not much was done to improve the product just for the sake
of improvement.

Rick