Re: CA registration

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: CA registration
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:48:21 EST
In a message dated 11/28/04 8:26:35 PM, hobbycars@cox.net writes:

> I was told if I can get both
> front and rear plates which were originally on a car the same year as shown
> on my Bugeye's registration papers (in this case, 1960), I can get the DMV
> to allocate the old plates for my Bugeye.

Hi Jacques:

Just one little problem:   Yellow plates were issued in 1960 when the car was
new.   The car was issued the black plates either in 1962 or 1963 when DMV
routinely issued new plates to all cars (for the last time and don't ask how I
know).   I am pretty sure they required you return the yellow ones (maybe to
avoid paying a fee) in order to get the black ones which were the only ones
legal at that time.   So the 1962 black plate number isn't the number on your
1960
registration, but probably would be on the 1964 registration.

I have seen yellow plates on hot rods (Yankee craft), but they do have
special tags on them for street   use now.

As to how hard this proves to do through DMV, who knows?   I don't know
whether Lakeside or one of the bigger DMV's would be more favorable to let you
know
what they are supposed to do. I'd guess that it sort of depended on the way
the person at DMV felt at any given moment, or his level of expertise at his
job.   I didn't realize when I wrote this that you had already heard from
Gerard, and suggest you talk to someone who has actually done it.

Good Luck

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"