Of Interest to G Mail Users, No LBC

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Of Interest to G Mail Users, No LBC
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:41:03 +0000
I got this off a Yahoo Group... Don't know anything more than what it says.
Since a bunch of you use it, I thought you would want to know.

Kent
1960 Bugeye

Gmail Bug Exposes Mail to Hackers
Whoops! Do you use Google's Gmail? If so, better not be hiding anything
confidential in there. It seems that a bug leaves users' mail files wide open
to any hacker with the key. Our story details what the bug is, how it works and
what Google is going to do.

UNIX developers HBX Networks have stumbled upon a bug within Google's Gmail
that allows access to other users' personal e-mails.
By altering the "From" address field of an e-mail sent to the service, hackers
could potentially find out a user's personal information, including passwords.

At first glance, to the average user the e-mail would appear normal. But by
clicking "show options" within the Gmail interface, the "Reply-To" field will
show HTML code that is actually a formatted version of another user's e-mail,
HBX wrote on its Web site.

HBX said that they think a missing character is tripping up Gmail and causing
it to print whatever is in its cache, or memory, into the Reply-To field.

The group did say much of what they saw was spam. However, what troubled them
was in at least one case they were able to see a user's password.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Gmail_Bug_Exposes_Emails_to_Hackers/1105561408