Re: Need MG Midget Tech Advice - part 1

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Need MG Midget Tech Advice - part 1
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:58:58 EST
I just want to say first of all how bad I feel for you this stuff can be so
maddening and expensive and depressing.  I really hope it turns the corner for
you soon.  I'm not as convinced about the exhaust leak simply because it so
clearly affected two cylinders, so the carb seems so much more likely.  It
seems
in my experience like when people have a big enough exhaust leak to cause
this kind of problem they don't have to guess about whether they do.  I didn't
see where you specified but I assume you have two SUs?   I like the suggestion
to put two proven carbs on it and see what you get.  And, assuming my
assumption is right about the carbs, I can't let this pass without reminding
the people
who chided me and others about taking SUs off for Webers that this is why.
If I'm wrong and you have Webers please call me an idiot.  Most of all good
luck.  I guess it's a little risky but is it possible to switch your two carbs
and compare plugs or something to see whether the conditions migrate with them?

And remember please that cars in general and engines in particular have lots
of strange angles on them.  The bullet is unlikely to sink in and if you shoot
it you need to be sure it will deflect in a direction which is away from you
and others.  It might actually be safer to take out the gas tank, set it on
fire and hit it with an axe while it burns.

Mark M.