RE: Jumpy Timing

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Jumpy Timing
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:41:27 -0800
David wrote: "bouncing all over the place" sounds like a lot more than wear!
I think it
is more likely that the vacuum advance has either parted company with the
points plate, or else the vacuum advance is adrift inside the cannister. The
vacuum advance attaches to the points plate via a peg. Remove the
distributor cap, apply vacuum to the cannister and see whether the points
plate moves. Now see whether you can move the points plate manually. See all
that slop?

Pretty sure David is right... Cap'n Bob, I also believe the optical
electronic systems (like Crane) are much better at correcting faulty
ignition settings due to worn bushings than the Hall effect magnetic systems
(like Pertonix).

On another matter - William Thompson sent me the video where David Lieb (in
his Midget) is battling with various Miatas in the slush  8-) The video is
now on my website at: http://www.leclainche.com/hobbycars/lbcs_in_action.htm

JLC