Re: Jag Question 1989

To: KrkLH@cs.com
Subject: Re: Jag Question 1989
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:26:28 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
KrkLH@cs.com wrote:

> With all of the Jag discussion this prompts me to ask, didn't Ford take
> Jaguar over in 1989 (or later)?
>
> Has the quality improved since then?

Ford did take over Jaguar around then, 89 or early 90s.
I had a 2002 X Type and I loved it. A few minor problems, but not worth
going out of my way to have them fixed until the service was due (was
was included with the car for 40,000.)
I now have an 05 Ford and I'll tell you what, I miss the Jag.
But I rarely drove the Jag, it was Diane's car, now she has a Ford,
again, it's her car and since the Ford is an automatic, where the Jag
was a stick, I don't drive the Ford.
When I had my XJ6, I was on the Jag list. At that time the new XK8 was
coming out and all the list said that it looked just like a Ford.
Some head honcho from Jaguar was on that list. He said Ford copied Jag's
design to some degree and went to production right away.
Jaguar on the other hand spends more time and money on the *whole* car
before going to production. So the Jag's looked like the Fords because
Ford beat Jag to the assembly line.
I do know that the Jags are still made in England and they have their
own engines. Ford may be stealing more tech from Jag now but Jag is also
using more reliable Ford components too. No more Lucas switches or relays ;)

I leased the Jag, I am leasing the Ford, but I am semi looking for an 88
XJ6 VP to fix up (or restore) before the Ford had to go back. IMO I
think it is one of the nicest looking cars around.