Re: Critique wanted..

To: "Lester Ewing" <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Critique wanted..
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:44:46 -0800 reply-type=response
Cc: "spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Les
Looking good!
I'm not a Bugeye pro, but based on some things that don't look right that
either haven't been mentioned, or are just haven't been explained well:

The fuel line:  Seems to me, the metal line from the fuel tank isn't
supposed to come up where it is now.  I've looked at the picture 10
different ways, and for the life of me can't figure out what is going on
there.  I think the metal line is supposed to run along the frame rail, then
connect to your fuel pump with a short piece of flex line.  If you choose to
put a fuel filter near the fuel pump, it is also near the exhaust pipe, so I
wouldn't use a plastic one, I'd get a metal one.  The crimp style fuel hose
clamps are definitely ugly & wrong.  If you do the Judson,  I wouldn't run
the mechanical pump anyway, and the fuel line routing will obviously change
in the process.

Throttle Cable:  Get a new one.  The old one is kinked and has torn red
plastic on it.  Was there even plastic on the original?  Someone else help
me on this.  I am just pretty sure red is wrong, and it stands out like a
sore thumb.  Oh yeah, again, something else that the Judson installation
will change.

Air Cleaners:  Correct or not, those are not very efficient.  That's one
place I'd back away from stock.  They don't filter that well, they don't
flow that well, and those don't look that good.  I guess if you are still
going to do a Judson, this is a mute point.

Plug wires:  Have been mentioned but no one has explained the correct type.
The originals actually don't have a boot on them at all! They have a metal
90 degree end that is crimped to the wire and snap onto the plug. If you are
going to go all the way with a side entry cap, the wires need to be copper
core to work with the screws inside the cap.  Personally, I hate the side
entry cap, & think you would be ok to just find some wires that are the
correct length.

Generator:  Sure a shame to have that ugly thing in such a nice engine
compartment.  You need to remove it, shine up the aluminum parts, repaint
the black case.

Heater Box:  I'd paint the clips silver.  It isn't correct, but they'd look
better than they do now.

Heater Hose:  Not sure on Bugeye's, but on later Spridgets, the hose from
the shut off valve to the heater box is a pre-formed hook shaped hose.
Someone who knows the BE's better will correct me if I'm wrong.

Interior:  You probably already know that Bugeye's didn't come with carpet.
I think it looks good, though.

I'm also assuming you're not done tucking the wires back up under the
dashboard.

Could be the angle of the shot, but the interior rear view mirror looks too
large, like it's from some other marque.

Just like to repeat, you asked for this.  Overall, looks like a car to be
very proud of.

David Riker
davriker@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/davriker/