RE: Was: New record Now: Beach Boys

To: "'KrkLH@cs.com'" <KrkLH@cs.com>, "Deikis, John" <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Was: New record Now: Beach Boys
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:08:18 -0700
"Lake" is a reference to "dry lake"-- the flats where you could find out if
chopping the top on your Model B 3-window deuce made it faster than that
primered Model A roadster from the other high school.  Lake pipes are a
paralled exhaust system, bypassing the mufflers and usually blocked off for
street use.  Later, leadsledders used decorative chrome lake pipes along the
rocker panels of their cars to make them look lower and faster-- the latter
was especially important as the early '50's souped up sedans were lucky to
get 0-to-60 in 18 seconds.