Questions about engine rebuild

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[9A9EE1B0:01C53939] j34HG3LI001184
Subject: Questions about engine rebuild
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:13:20 -0600
Hello,

Well, I am now contemplating an engine rebuild...
Before I start pulling things out, I have some questions as I have hear
verry different opinions around me... I am now asking the experts (yes,
it's YOU that I am talking about :-)

I have my 1500 cc that I need to at least partially rebuild due to blow
by problems and general tear and age... I am looking at a basic and
cheap rebuild, not a pump it up for power one...

I know that I will change the following:
- seals
- timing chain (and related)
- bearing (engine, thrust)
- bearing, possibly connecting rods (any comment on that?)
- piston ring or all piston depending on engine bore needs
  Question: can I just dump in 9:1 compression pistons to replace my low
compression pistons?
- head studs
- pushrod and trapets (depending)
- valves and associated hardware (depending)

Now, I also know that I will need to have a machine chop involved for:
- cylinders honing or re-boring
- valve job (removing old guides, placing the new ones).
- possibly flatten the head and block

I am planning to do the balancing myself as it does not look too
complicated...

But I have had peoples telling me that I also need to:
- magnaflux all the parts (why? If my core or my heads are bad, I can
not afford to replace them anyway...)
- regrind the crank
- resize the rods
- replace the cam shaft (I was told it was a high wear item?)

Do you have any comments on all that?

Thanks, cyrille