Re: Reviewing Kingpin clearance issue

To: "John D'Agostino" <john.dagostino@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Reviewing Kingpin clearance issue
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:13:55 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
John

The addition of shims, as I see it, will make my problem worse, not better.
There should be one thick "thrust washer" (brass-type material) between the
trunnion and the swivel axle. The thin shims fit on the top "shoulder" of
the kingpin, just at the base of the threads. The trunnion fits on the very
top of the kingpin, it's actually recessed on the underside, the shims fit
in this recessed area. Adding shims raise the clearance where the thrust
washer fits, reducing shims lowers the clearance. I have NO shims and too
much clearance. As I see it I have 3 choices. Easiest by far would be to
find a thicker thrust washer, I don't know if such an animal exists though.
I don't think adding a special shim to take up the clearance would be
desireable, may not last too well and would wear out more than likely. Maybe
2 thrust washers could be shaved down so I end up with a result slightly
thicker than 1 normal thrust washer. But before I would do that, my other 2
options would be to have a machine shop make this smaller bore in the bottom
of the trunnion a little deeper, this would reduce clearance, I could then
also use the regular adjustment shims to fine tune the clearance, OR I could
have the top shoulder of the kingpin machined a little lower, this should
have the same affect as the previously mentioned method.
Thanks for the reply though, BTW who/what is Mcmaster Carr?