RE: WOT: drilling allen wrenches?, no weld 'em!

To: "chuck" <cciaffone@earthlink.net>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WOT: drilling allen wrenches?, no weld 'em!
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:52:39 -0400
chuck,
(funny, i feel like i'm talking to myself....again.)
allen wrenches are hardened steel.   yer not gonna believe this but we
repaired a fractured clutch fork in the morgan (literally 2 pieces!) at
summit point using 4 allen wrenches and a mig welder.   they were soooo
hard that they reinforced the damaged clutch fork and the car made it a few
MORE race weekends on the mended clutch fork before going to a tilton
hydraulic T/O bearing assembly.
try the mig welded washer to the end of the allen wrench and discard the
drilling operation.   then you can fabricate a lanyard device to secure it
once you have the washer attached.   (try the stainless steel braided cable
at the hardware store and the aluminum crimp on ferrules!  they work
wonders on trailer hardware like hair pin clips and other things you drop
in the wet and dark during race weekends and car rescues!)

chuck.
"been there.....broke that.....and fixed it a few times untill i figured
out why i broke it in the first place.....