WOT: drilling allen wrenches?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: WOT: drilling allen wrenches?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:20:59 -0500
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:11:47 -0400
> From: chuck <cciaffone@earthlink.net>
> Subject: WOT: drilling allen wrenches?
>
> Hey Y'all, ever drill thru an allen wrench? We have several
> at the gym for adjusting weights, and I'd like to put a ring
> in each to attach a chain to tether these guys before any
> more walk off. I have tried with several drill bits, each
> claiming to be made "especially" for drilling thru
> hard metals (like, Tru Value "Cobalt" bits). I can
> get thru one face and well into the wrench, but it always
> stops just before exiting the other side, at which the
> bit is useless - totally dullsville. Try another bit in the
> same hole, and it dulls immediately. No further
> progress.
>
> I need some help here,
>
> chuck

If you want to drill metal without work hardening it, you need very low
rpm, flood it with cutting oil (you can use chainsaw bar oil), and a
*lot* of pressure on the drill. If it isn't cutting and advancing, it's
hardening the metal. The other option is to heat the section to be
drilled, red hot, and then let it cool slowly to lower the hardness
before drilling it.

--
Dave Grandeffo
www.kettlemorainemotorsports.com