steering column and toe-in questions

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering column and toe-in questions
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:05:21 -0500
On the steering column seal, it seems to me it almost has to face inwards. If
it goes to the outside it would need to seal, as I see it, against the inner
shaft, which the seal is too large for, not a good fit. Unless I have my inner
shaft in the wrong location as compared to the outer tube, which I suppose is
possible, but I really think I have it correct. The top of the inner shaft is
protruding exactly 3" out of the tube. When installed, the bottom of the tube
just is barely coming out of the firewall.
On my rack, here is another question:
Is the small notch on the end of the pinion supposed to point "up", is this a
mark to show the rack is in a centered position? Just eyeballing it, it seems
it would be. My problem is that if I put the notch up, to get the hubs both
facing roughly straight ahead, my right side track rod has to be turned in to
the track rof end quite a bit more than the left side, maybe 4 or 5 threads
extra. Right now I am just using a yardstick on the brake backing plate and
measuring to the outside of the front of the frame. Once "my helper" is home
from work I will use a similar method to measure the actual toe-in, just
roughing it in for now.
Dan