Repairing ABS on a Bugeye..

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "(YahooGroups) vSAAB" <vSAAB@yahoogroups.com>, Turbo! SAAB Digest The <turbo@ifound.com>
Subject: Repairing ABS on a Bugeye..
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:14:57 -0500
     Ok, for those of you not in the know, I  own a '59 Austin -Healy
Bugeye Sprite.  I've had it for a  little over a year and it has been
occupying my time.  Well the time came to update/upgrade to disc
brakes.  i had Bud Clark over here for a ride and the pulsing we
experienced with the drum brakes must have been an early attempt,
over 30 years it would appear, at ABS braking.  A gentle appl;ication
of the brakes would cause a nice pulsing of the pedal.. and the
car.   After we determined that, in fact, The Austin Healy corp had
no idea of ABS back in the 50's and perhaps a reworking of the brakes
system was in order. Bud headed off laughing his ass off and I
started the process of updating to discs.

     First, as a Sprite newbie there were several thing to learn..
one biggie is that disc brake hubs do not use the same wheel studs as
the drums so I had to order new wheel nuts.  Anyway, it's all back
together and I did a little of the drip bleeding technique, you know,
loosen  the bleed valve and wait until fluid comes out.

     Time for a test drive..  the first call was to Bud, "How does
one keep looking cool while VERY RAPIDLY PUMPING THE BRAKES MANY
TIMES when coming to a stop?"He's still laughing his ass off...  oh
well, the car now stops and I took it out on a nice 30 min drive..
now maybe someone can answer why the oil pressure in the stock 948
engine drops to 20 psi or so after a nice long run.....

Lester