Re: Why are Delorean's always seen

To: MAIL4CARPENTERS@peoplepc.com, robv@ptd.net, spritenut@exit109.com
Subject: Re: Why are Delorean's always seen
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 02:33:03 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
That is interesting.

I am fascinated with cars that represent the unique display of thought of a
particular country.  It can be any country - I am not stuck on one.  If I had
the money I would like to have other cars from other periods and other
countries as well.  Heck, I would even like to have a Soviet 3 cyl 2 stroke
Trabant if
I could find one in decent shape!
Wouldn't that be a blast to drive around!  I can see the smoke right now
coming off the pipes at a local stoplight.

I think the Brit cars have a hold on me having been so fascinated with them
when they roamed the US in large (or larger) numbers.  I was also taken for
several very hair raising rides in a 58 Bugeye when I was 8 or 9 years old.
The
impression has never left me.  All through the years I have recalled every
detail of that car's dash board as I sat in the passenger seat - nothing.

But it is interesting to me to work on a car that derived it's "being" from
more of a single source.  I am sure there was some bleed over, even in the 50's
and early 60's - but not like today.

My wife's 2004 PT Cruiser was made in Toluca, not Toledo.

My "American made"  Harley owes it's suspension and brakes to Japan.  Plus
there are some other well made parts from Japan on there as well, don't recall
them all.

And the carb models owe their reliable carbs to the same country.

If I owned a De Lorean (and I would like to have one) I am not too sure that
I would be thinking about parking it next to a row of Healey 100's at a Brit
car fest.  I didn't mind seeing them there - nor am I being critical of those
who brought their silver gull wing cars to the event.

On the other hand I guess if I had a De Tomaso I could bring it to both an
Italian show and a Ford show.

If I recall the story of John DeLorean I think he was considering a couple of
places to have his masterpiece assembled.  He finally decided upon Ireland
due to the quality of construction he could expect as well as the ready made
labor pool that existed there at the time. It was a good bet for his ever
shrinking dollar.  I do think the engines were Volvo as well - Volvo 6 cylinder
power
plants and gear boxes.  He was eventually going to cast his own power plants,
had the venture paid off.

It has been interesting to hear the responses to my initial email.

Kirk
59 Vomit Yellow 1275 Bugeye!