Re: Roll bar

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roll bar
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 05:58:08 -0500
I see Ed's point on this one. If you are looking for one that will save your
life in a roll over, you need one that meets SCCA requirements. BUT this will
be so tall, that you can no longer use your top/hood any longer. If you put one
of the roll bars in the car that are made to allow for your top/hood to go up,
it won't save your
skull from road rash, should you flip. Your seat belt/harness, no matter HOW
good it is, will stretch under your weight, allowing your head to contact the
road surface. I have no personal experience with this, but just ask WST about
when he flipped the Rat Bastard.

Brad

Jim Crowder wrote:

> For several months I've been shopping around for roll bars for my 'B' and
>Midget.  Today, while searching for a fuel tank sending unit (which I haven't
>found yet), I e-mailed Ed @ JustBrits and happened to mention I was looking
>for a roll bar.  I told him I had located a new one at
>www.autopowerindustries.com in San Diego, CA.
>
> Ed's response to my searching for a roll bar was, "Why?".
>
> He also added "useless" and "not worth the $$$$$$$$"
>
> Now, I haven't followed up with Ed yet, so I don't know if he meant this
>particular roll bar by this particular company, or if he meant all roll bars
>in general.  I'm sure he'll tell me in his own good time and in a way that
>only Ed can speak.
>
> This has got me thinking though-------are roll bars generally a waste of
>money?  Are they useless as a safety device?  I happen to think they look good
>installed in LBCs, but I'm seeking safety here, not good looks.
>
> Are there minimum manufacturing requirements (tube wall thickness,
>round/square shape, type of bracing, etc...) for a roll bar to be truly
>effective?  If so, what are they?
>
> Anyone want to share their thoughts and opinions about the use and
>effectiveness of roll bars in LBCs?
>
> Anyone in support of roll bars have a recommendation for a supplier?
>
> Jim C
> 73 Midget
> 67 MGB

> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/B9pRWD/3MnJAA/Y3ZIAA/PUAslB/TM

>     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>

> --

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.