Re: Help update...

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: Help update...
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:05:01 -0400 reply-type=original
Cc: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
David,

    I recall the ground wire short business was reportedly on my local MG
club member`s TD, but Jerry`s sure sounds like classic fuel starvation to
me, too. Both times that sort of thing happened to my LBCs it was either the
piston sticking on the Bug due to an uncentered jet or misaligned dashpot,
or the bit of washer blocking the line at intake on the Midge. It doesn`t
take much to plug the line, especially at a union.
     When that happened with the Midget, I went Jerry`s route, ripping out
everything until I finally found the plugged carb. I don`t know how I
settled on that, or how I managed to find the little devil that was the
cause. Just a lucky guess at the time, I suppose.
    Sometimes it`s helpful to take a breath and  pin down what was going on
at the point when things went bad, ie., just after some tinkering or a fill
up or after long period of inactivity. I`ve made trouble plenty of times by
tinkering with things that were not broken or trying to do too many things
at once, so I didn`t know which I messed up.
   If this wasn`t done, it could help to check the full length of the line
for crimping. Also, perhaps unhook both ends of the line and blow it out
with an air hose. A clogged pick up in the tank could be the culprit, but
not so likely, considering the symptoms. A bent needle or tiny bit of
foreign material in or preceding the jet are not unknown, though.
    Of course, you can always buy the Miata. But what adventure would there
be in that?

Bert Shirey
60 Bugeye/ 66 Midget 1098