Re: United States Not-so-Gran Prix

To: Dbcooper292@aol.com
Subject: Re: United States Not-so-Gran Prix
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:25:16 -0500
Cc: kturk@ala.net, dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com, jdc6@lehigh.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Mark offered the correct options (below). Since there had already been
two tire failure accidents in qualifying (Ralf Schumacher and Ricardo
Zonta - and both at the ominous
turn 13 wall) it was clear that people would be seriously hurt or
killed if they raced. At
that point Michelin, *not* the 7 teams shod with them, asked the FIA
for a variance to bring in safe tires for those teams. Simultaneously,
the GPDA met and came up with the idea of adding a chicane. Ferrari
was the only team not to sign off on the idea.

Now....   Rules are rules said Ferrari (realizing their good fortune)
and the FIA. So the choice the other drivers had was to race and die
or save it for another day. I don't blame the drivers and the 7
Michelin shod teams, do you?  SO....  The blame for a lousy race
either falls on Ferrari or the FIA. I don't think you can seriously
blame Ferrari for taking advantage of the situtation (especially given
their season to date)...   That leaves only the FIA governing body.
While Max Mosely and Bernie E. are certainly major influences in this,
they don't begin to make and enforce all the rules. There is a whole
group of FIA people who take care of things like this. Their
inflexibility was the problem here insofar as a "good" race is
concerned. However, if we are talking about staying within the rules
and allowing no variance, then we got the correct, proper, and legal
version of this race with just 6 cars.

I don't care about any of this stuff though.  I just want to *HIT* somebody!!

Cheers!!
Jim - fuming in Dodge City
--
1964 R60/2