Polarity conversion and starter problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Polarity conversion and starter problem
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:13:21 EDT
I am in the middle of converting my TR4A from positive to nagative ground. I
know all TR4A are supposed to be negative ground but for whatever reason mine
isn't.

So far I have:
swtiched the ammeter connections
switched the ignition coil
switched the fuel pump. I guess I have the diode type
replaced the positive cable on the battery
switched the battery connections
jumped the generator at the F conection on the control box.

Here is the deal
The starter, which worked fine before just won't turn over the engine. The
had a spin on the first crank and then a clunk. Now all I get is a clunk. I
backed off the starter bolts, pulled it back, retighten, got onne spin and then
clunk. This is a standard issue Lucas starter.
I charged the battery over night, but all it was drawing was 2 amps.
There hasn't been any smoke or sparks, other that when I jumped the generator.
Seems like the starter is hanging up on ring gear.
Is the stater spinning the wrong way?

I am going to try replacing the negative cable from the battery to ground,
just to make sure I am getting enough juice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David Oliner