A strange new noise in Bugsy - need opinions

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: A strange new noise in Bugsy - need opinions
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 06:01:34 -0700 (PDT)
I started up Bugsy last night and ran down to the store with top up. A fun time
as Bugsy spotted a fellow brother out on the streets of Beavercreek last
night(4 Spridgets within close distance of me that I've run into). As I got up
to speed in 4th gear I heard a noise coming from I assume the rear end. I'd
characterize the noise as sounding a little bit like a slinky toy being passed
from hand to hand, sort of a short "Sproing" "Swish". "Swish" sound. Like two
flat metal plates pushing against one another. Not real loud noise but
definitely nothing I've heard in ther car before. Sound was random, did not
come at consistent intervals, still occurred when I took car out of gear and
coasted. Some sort of rotating sound that did not come at consistent intervals.
Seemed to be there on both acceleration and deceleration in and out of gear. As
I got to the store about 2-3 miles away and loaded 2 40 lb. bages of softener
salt in the trunk noise seemed to be less on the way back home. Sound
 would only last a second or two and then go away but then come back again at
an irregular interval.

My potential thoughts - 1) Rear end low on oil. I haven't checked it in a very,
very long time. Does a 1/2" socket drive fit the drain plug on the
differential. Need to check rear brakes to see if rear shoes are soaked with
oil.

2) Possible tranny issues but noise was there both accelerating, coasting, both
in and out of gear.

Anyone have a similar noise occur before.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH