RE: need a good adhesive...

To: "Steven Michelsen" <stevenm@optonline.net>, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, "Midget Group at team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: need a good adhesive...
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:44:55 -0400
steve,
being a kinda neanderthal kinda guy i really must ask the specific material
we are sticking back together.  hard plastic or some poly vynal chloride
derivative.   why must i ask such a wierd question?   it has a lot to do
with do with surface preperation and what adhesive i'd reccomend!      all
trhe adhesives i'd reccomend are a bit on the "runny side and woyuld
require a masking tape  dam to controll the adhesive's ability to run out
of the area yer glueing bact ta gether!
next up is the curing time of the adhesive!  a fast cure is a brittle cure
and a slow cure time is a stronger final product in my past experiences
with adhesives and epoxys.
also it might require sanding the surface or scoring with something like a
#11 x-acto blade so the adhesive has something to "bite" to for adhesion.
it might boil down to "yer beating a dead horse!"   but, if i had some idea
about the material , i might reccomend some specific path of repair.
longevity's a whole other thing!

chuck.
"lurk-lurk-lurk"!

into has cracked more or less in half.  The broken piece is gone.  I can
set the stalk in place "just for show" but can't use it.

> So then, short of replacing the whole thing (which would be a bit of
overkill as the thing would work fine if I can just get it to stay in
place) I figure I will need an adhesive that can:

> - be thick enough to mold into a shape.
> - be strong enough to tolerate the stress involved in moving the lever up
and down.

> I tried JB Weld but it didn't last a day.  I am thinking maybe liquid
nails or something similar.  Any ideas?