Radio busted

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Radio busted
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:09:30 -0400
Seems like a mundane problem, but....

When I bought my 79 Midget many years ago, there was a broken radio
sort of hanging out of the dash.  PO said original had been stolen
and he replaced it with a broken faced thing that was useless.

I replaced that with a "very inexpensive" thing I picked up at a flea
market that just happened to fit but was cheap no-name technology
that only lasted some 10 years.

So now I want to replace it and can't find anything that will fit.
When I called Crutchfield, they were very knowledgeable - knew
exactly how much space I have in the dash (5 3/4") and said they have
nothing in their product line that is that shallow.  They know of no
one who makes anything that small.  (opening size is almost standard
DIN so that's not a problem.)  I have fiddled around with extending
the radio so it sticks out further, but I need at least an inch for
most radios and then the shifter gets pretty close.

Anybody had experience with something small that works or hints for
another approach??

Steve
'79 Midget